Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Life's Work, Explained

A few years ago, some friends and I were discussing what our issues were with 7th Sea. Wouldn't it be great, we mused, if it was more like Legend of the Five Rings, where you could actually gain ranks in your fighting styles before your gaming group was sick of the game and ready to move on to something else? In our imaginations, there was a glorious rewrite, where all the schools had five levels, sorcerers could actually accomplish anything, and Swordsman Schools didn't have abilities that outright sucked. Descending from the clouds of fancy, we realized how enormous and impractical a project this would be.

A little while later, I started on it anyway.

I called it the 7th Sea Overhaul, a title which quickly changed to the largely-nonsensical 7th Sea Keelhaul, because, you see, pirates. My loyal readers know well that I take on over-ambitious grand projects and never finish them, and this one is no exception. I've worked on it off and on over the years, at times seized with creative passion, at other times leaving it dormant for months on end.

I figure on days when I don't have anything else to write about, I'll throw up a school and a bit of commentary on what I was trying to do. It'll be good motivation to acutally edit and revise some of my clunkier additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment